Licensed books on medicine
<< Ahead || Next >> |
How to increase the amount of milk?
Before embarking on measures aimed at increasing the amount of milk, note for yourself what other mistakes you make.
How many times do you put a baby to your chest during the day? If 5-8 times, then your breast does not have enough stimulation to produce the necessary quantities of milk and maintain a stable lactation.
Do you feed your baby in the morning hours (from about 3 to 8 am)? If you don’t feed, or the baby stops waking up, you may actually have a lack of milk due to the lack of sufficient stimulation of the hormone prolactin. (One feeding at 6 am is usually not enough).
If you feed a baby on demand, the baby is properly attached, it often pees, but it gains weight poorly, you do not have a lack of milk, there is a lack of assimilation of this product. The reason for the lack of weight in something else, it may be, for example, dissatisfaction with the contact with the mother or the baby's disease - and in either case, it is necessary to consult a specialist.
If you have already begun to feed a mixture, then to go to an exclusive breastfeeding you need the help of a specialist in the community. There are a large number of organizations involved in supporting breastfeeding and the necessary qualifications are available. This phrase has nothing to do with Russia, there are experts, but very few of them.
If you still have little milk, but you have not yet begun to feed the mixture, proceed as follows:
1. In any case, you need competent support, at least by phone. Unfortunately, in modern civilized society, nursing mothers cannot find the necessary support from their relatives or friends, because both those and others most often have no experience of successful breastfeeding. Try to find the nearest breastfeeding adviser * and discuss this problem with him. If there is no such specialist anywhere, then:
2. Try to organize maximum physical contact with the child. Do not try to immediately postpone it as soon as he falls asleep. Use the patchwork holder (sling). If there is an opportunity, put shorts and a shirt on two shelves, then the baby will rest on your bare legs, belly during feeding. Organize a joint night sleep. If it is not possible to sleep with the baby all night, move his bed close to yours, put your hand through the bars, the child should feel your constant presence. But at about 4 in the morning take him to yourself.
3. Learn to properly attach. Babies who have had the experience of sucking bottles and pacifiers very often hold the breast incorrectly, they do not take the areola deep enough into the mouth. Mom may not be hurt because There is no extreme option for applying the wrong (when the child closes the jaws on the nipple), but the breast is stimulated poorly, because the nipple and an insignificant part of the areola are lying on the tongue, and the child “squeezes them out” ... Mom, who has never seen breastfeeding, finds it difficult to determine how well her baby sucks. The best option is to contact a breastfeeding counselor. In the absence of such in your area, you must find a mother who is breastfeeding a baby, preferably not the first, and the child should be really nursing, without the experience of sucking foreign objects (nipple, pacifier), and mom should not have problems with nipples - abrasions, cracks, neither at the moment nor earlier. It is impossible to learn how to make books and pamphlets! There is little hope in the photographs in magazines for parents, because very often in magazines for parents you can find photos of children holding their breasts incorrectly. This is the most important point in restoring normal lactation. If the mother can not fix the attachment, or considers the painless option of improper attachment to be good, neither frequent attachments nor night feedings will bring the desired result.
4. Apply the baby to your chest at your request every hour except the night break (from 12 at night until 4 in the morning). Feeding at the request of the mother means that the child is applied regardless of his condition, when the mother needs it. If the child “puts forward” his own requirements, then he, of course, is also applied at these moments. At night, from 12 to 4, the child is attached only if he asks for it.
5. Organize compulsory feeds in the morning hours. If the baby still wakes up at 3-4 am, do not try to “pump up” him anymore, but attach it to your chest. You need 2-3 applications in the interval from 3 to 8 in the morning (the time of formation of the maximum concentrations of prolactin). If the baby has stopped waking up, you should start the alarm at 4 am and offer the baby a chest at 4, 6 and 8 in the morning. The child quickly remembers his innate habit of sucking in the morning. If a child sleeps with his mother, he never forgets a couple of times to attach himself early in the morning. Mother and baby sleeping together since birth about a week later synchronize the rhythms of sleep. Mom adapts to the child and begins to sleep more superficially. When the child starts messing around at night, the mother opens one eye, gives the child a breast and then sleeps. The baby sleeps sucking. Mom is usually in a half-dream or she has a superficial sleep (this is possible only if the mother can feed lying down in a comfortable position in which she can relax). Having sucked in, the child releases the breast and falls asleep in a deep sleep, and the mother falls asleep. Then again, the child begins a “quick sleep”, he can start “messing around” and then he is applied again. There are several such episodes during the night. Their number changes with the age of the child, their duration changes. But completely these underlings feedings do not disappear even at big children. A child at the age of 1.5-2 years, for example, sucks very actively somewhere from 5.30 - 6.00 to 8.00-9.00 in the morning.
6. Forget about time scales and weighing. Leave the scales alone, but rather give them to someone for a week.
7. If you have not stopped doing this, stop giving the child water or tea or juice. Any liquid that a child receives causes him to have a false sense of satiety, reducing the need for breast sucking. If during the day your baby drank 100 ml of water, it means that he did not receive 100 ml of milk.
8. If you have not stopped doing this, stop using the dummy. Baby should forget that you can suck something other than my mother's breast. (You can still suck a cam or fingers, but if you see that the baby sucks them very intensively for more than 5 minutes, offer him the breast).
9. You will need the help of loved ones, because for 1-2 weeks you better not be distracted by anything from the child. This method of lactation restoration is called the “nest method”. The child should be minimally dressed, so that his skin also stimulates mother's lactation. You stimulate each other - the mother of the child for more frequent sucking, the child the mother - for more milk production. You simply do not have time to do anything else.
10. Be prepared for the fact that the child, finally, having the opportunity to suck the breast as much as you want, and unlimited physical contact with the mother, can “hang” on the breast for several hours, doing sucking continuously. The more this behavior is expressed, the more stress the child has experienced, and it is not necessary to prevent him from being engaged in compensating for this stress.
11. Do not try to keep the previous daily routine (walks and so on ...). Relax and feed only. It is advisable not to go anywhere at all during this period, and to limit contacts (guests, visiting relatives, etc.)
12. Do not be upset that from frequent latching the breast has become completely soft. This is completely normal. With a stable lactation, the breasts are soft all the time and milk is given only during sucking. Recalculate the number of urinations, they should become more.
13. A week after the start of such work, you can hold the first weighing of the child. After another week, you will have a second weigh-in - so you will begin to monitor the weekly increase. If it grows every week, everything works out for you.
14. After setting 11-12 urination per day, continue for 5-7 days to apply the child every hour, then for one day give him freedom and apply only on his demand. If the child again asks for the breast once every 3-4 hours, therefore he hasn’t yet recovered the need for sucking the breast, continue to apply 1 more hour every hour, then try to watch again, etc.
15. Most children develop a new daily routine for themselves in about 2-3 weeks, when they begin to show a more or less constant rhythm of daytime dreams. Now your baby should be attached to the chest to fall asleep and attached after waking up. It often happens that the child, having slept for an hour, begins to worry, the mother puts it on, and the baby falls asleep again.
16. This is how the approximate baby mode looks like, which has restored the innate need for frequent attachments. If, for example, your baby is 2 months old and sleeps four times during the day, it turns out about the number of attachments: “around” four dreams two attachments - 8 turns out (the baby always falls asleep at the breast, for a while it sleeps sucking and releases the breast, then it is applied at the time of awakening), plus feeding in the evening to fall asleep and in the morning when waking up, it turns out already 10, plus dawning attachments 3-4 times - this is already 14, plus such young children have a need to attach themselves to the mother during wakefulness (usually then he is given a dummy or a bottle of tea, because the mother thinks that since the baby sucked half an hour ago, now he has nothing to do with his chest - and the kid wanted physical contact with his mother, wanted to feel her closeness, tenderness again, wanted to suck a little more for reasons not related to saturation - for example, I wanted to pee. There are children who need to attach themselves to their chest to do their work, and there are children who need to attach themselves right after ... Various options are possible, but the baby has already been given a pacifier or a rattle cus ...). Such short-term applications can be, for example, 5. In total, 24 days turned out.
17. Another way of counting loose attachments is as follows - the child should be attached to the chest “around” dreams (falls asleep at the chest and applied when waking up) and approximately 1 time every 2 hours while awake .. If the child is not applied for 3 hours in a row and he does not asleep, it means that you are missing some of his requests, or he has already decided that it is useless to ask ... There are different children with different needs, but the daily number of attachments is almost never less than 12. If you have less, it means to restore it trust, you will need more time.
18. If you get 12 urinations per day, no less than 12 attachments to your chest without looking at your watch, the child began to add 200 or more grams per week - you coped with your problem.
19. Do not rush to throw your efforts. Stable lactation is obtained in about 1-2 months from the beginning of a new life. The more time passed from childbirth, the longer the recovery takes. Often, the mother feels that there is more milk on the second or third day, however, a stable result is obtained not earlier than in a week, and you need at least one more week to form a stable habit for such a life in a child. Therefore, the most minimal period that must be devoted to the restoration of lactation is 2 weeks.
In many cases, it is not the absence of a 10-hour night’s sleep or the lack of time for walks and money for vitamin complexes for nursing mothers and fresh fruit in the middle of winter to prevent a woman from getting a full lactation.
Two ideas that are firmly rooted in the consciousness of modern society interfere with mothers:
1. A child can not be accustomed to hands and grab for every squeak - he is spoiled.
2. You cannot sleep in the same bed with a child - this is unhygienic and harmful, then you will not wean. Try to forget about these two nonsense, and you will become much easier.
| << Ahead || Next >> |
| = Go to tutorial content = |
How to increase the amount of milk?
- Eat a nutritious diet by increasing the amount of foods by 20 percent.
- Getting enough milk
I worry that my baby is not getting enough milk. What signals should I pay attention to? Instead of worrying and wondering if the baby you are breastfeeding is getting enough milk, check the following figures. You will calm down and understand that your baby is growing and fully developing on your milk. Weight gain
- Reducing the amount of milk during menstruation
My baby is five months old. My menstruation has just resumed, and it seems to me that I am losing milk. I really want to feed at least a year. What's happening? Any change in the hormones in your body affects your breasts. Hormones, which include the menstrual cycle, can cause the mother to have a feeling of nervousness, anxiety, and a feeling of a temporary decrease in milk production. Start
- How to increase the duration and prevalence of breastfeeding
Many factors influence how women feed their children and how long they breastfeed them. These include traditional methods of medical care, the influence of family and friends, the living environment (urban or rural), socio-economic situation, employment and place of work, pressure from commercial interests, knowledge of breastmilk substitutes and their availability. On
- How milk is produced
How milk arrives In the first few days after birth, the breasts are soft and empty. It supplies only a small amount of yellowish first milk, called colostrum (see subsection 3.4). After a few days, the chest begins to stiffen and sometimes hardens. She begins to produce a lot of milk. We say that milk has arrived. Sometimes milk arrives in two days, sometimes this process takes
- How should I express milk?
Even when women have the opportunity to use breast pumps, many prefer to pump manually. Manual decanting more naturally imitates the sucking action of a child. In addition, for reasons of safety, it is necessary to sterilize breast pumps, and this may be difficult in an emergency. • Wash your hands thoroughly. • Prepare a clean cup or vessel with
- How breast produces and excretes milk
Understanding how your breasts produce milk and how you can improve its performance will help you appreciate the beautiful feminine art and science of breastfeeding. By structure, the system of milk secretion inside the breast resembles a tree. The mammary glands (leaves) are similar to a bunch of grapes cells (lobules), they are deep in the breast and produce milk. Next of these slices milk
- Breast milk as a preventive and therapeutic agent
If you have a lot of milk, you should not just throw away its surplus after decanting and preparing supplies for feeding the baby in your absence. Find your milk a decent use for personal care, for the prevention and treatment of diseases in yourself, your baby and loved ones. There are many recipes for the use of milk in home treatment. Feel free to replace the sterilized cow in them
- How to find out if a baby gets enough milk?
The most reliable criterion is the normal weight gain of a child under the age of 1 year - a healthy child must gain in weight from half to one kilogram per month, while this process occurs especially quickly in the first months of life. If the baby is exclusively breastfed and urinates at least 6 times a day - he gets enough milk. If the child receives
- How breast milk protects the baby from infection
Breast milk is clean and does not contain bacteria, so it can not be the cause of the disease of the child. It contains anti-infective factors that prevent the spread of infection. These include: - Live white blood cells (leukocytes) that kill bacteria. - Antibodies (immunoglobulins) of many common infections, protecting the child from the disease, until his body started
- How to find out if a baby is getting enough breast milk.
Check for wet diapers Ask your mother how often a baby wets diapers. It should urinate six or more times a day, and the urine should be colorless or pale yellow. - If the baby is exclusively breastfed and urinates six times a day, he has enough breast milk. - If the mother gives him water or other drinks, this test will not help you.
- How does a baby stimulate milk flow?
Signs of hunger appear long before the child starts crying: he turns his head, opens his mouth wide, sticks out his tongue and releases saliva. When you are with a child, you learn to recognize these signs. Therefore, you can offer him a breast before he cries. The baby will learn to suck better if not to worry about it before feeding. Every child has a birth
- THE PROCESS OF EDUCATION OF BREAST MILK AND AS A CHILD SUCTION BREAST
THE PROCESS OF EDUCATION OF BREAST MILK AND AS A CHILD SUCTION